Curbside Single Stream Recycling
The City of Maumelle is proud of our implementation of our curbside single stream recycling program. The recycling program has been expanded to include corrugated cardboard, paperboard, all plastic food containers, catalogs, magazines, and steel and tin cans, in addition to the aluminum cans, plastic bottles and newspapers it currently accepts.
Your recycling bin must be at your collection point by 7 a.m. on your scheduled recycling collection day. Customers are provided with a recycling bin upon request. Extra recyclables may be placed next to the recycling bin in a cardboard box or a paper bag no larger than 18 gallons in size. If you consistently have extra recycling, call Solid Waste & Recycling at 501-851-2888 to request an additional bin. If you find you need more than one bin you may request up to three at no charge. Your collection day is assigned by the Solid Waste & Recycling Division. Routes are created so the Division operates in the most cost-effective way. When a holiday falls on your recycling day, we will collect the next day.
How to Prepare Your Recycling
- No need to rinse your containers. Place all recyclables loose or in paper bags in your bin.
- Do not place plastic bags in your recycling bin. You may collect your recycling in plastic bags, but you must dump the recyclables out of the plastic bag into the cart and place the plastic bag in the garbage or take it to your local Kroger grocery store for recycling. You may also collect your recycling in a reusable bag and empty the contents into your bin for collection.
- Do Not include food wrappers or food contaminated materials.
- You do not have to remove caps, lids or labels.
- Cardboard and paperboard must be flattened and placed under the bin, if it is too large to fit inside the bin.
Our crews cannot pick up your recycling if there is a problem with it. Unacceptable recycling will be marked with an educational recycling tag. If you find a tag, please read it in order to understand what the issue with the recycling is, correct the problem, and place your recycling out on your next recycling day.
Some Reasons Why Your Recycling May Not Be Picked Up Include:
- Non-Recyclable and/or Non-Acceptable materials such as garbage, styrofoam, or glass were placed in the recycling bin.
- Greasy cardboard and/or plastic bags were found in the bin.
- Recyclables were contaminated; items must be rinsed before being placed in the bin.
- Recycling was not at the pick up area, next to the curb and three feet from the garbage cart.
- Recycling was not out for pick up on the correct recycling collection day.
If you do not find an educational tag and you believe your recycling was missed, please wait until after 2:30 p.m. on the day of pick up before calling Solid Waste & Recycling at 501-851-2888. Unfortunately, we cannot return for recycling if your bin was not out on time.
Your recycling will be picked up any time starting at 7 a.m. on your collection day. You may notice that your recycling is collected at approximately the same time every week. Please understand that changes in weather conditions, crew assignments and equipment problems can change your pick up to an earlier or later time in the day. That's why it is important that your recycling is always out by 7 a.m. on your collection day.